Saturday, May 5, 2012

Mente Fuerte ...continued

I can remember what I felt just prior to leaving my house for the airport on March 31st.  I can remember feeling like I may not have packed everything, and I can remember reminding myself that I did not need everything nor anything at all.  But, it helped to know what I would like to be prepared for, and for me, being prepared had everything to do with learning and documenting the experience.  I wanted to jump into something unfamiliar, to feel lost, to adapt, and to leave knowing that I had changed in some way.  And yet I had no idea how difficult the process would become for me, nor did I realize how much I would struggle just in the first few weeks.

I had to share my thoughts and experiences with everyone I knew.  A post on Facebook got some attention and it read, "I'm starting to feel like I don't belong here. Estoy discontento, I'll just have to see what becomes of it."  A friend of my commented and indicated that I was "over the honeymoon" and that I should "hang in there."  Having surpassed that awkward feeling and having had time to reflect deeply to understand what it was I had been feeling, and what it was I desired was invaluable.


The title of the original post is adequately titled "Learning Spanish: mente fuerte" which translates to "strong mind."  I genuinely believe that I have the sort of mental process that will at times cause me grief more than anything because I overanalyze and I am very hard on myself.  In this particular situation, and most certainly right before I left my house for the airport the day of my departure for Mexico, I was scrambling.  All the time thinking that I had not studied up on the culture, traditions, acceptable behavior and details such as these.  The truth is, other students studying abroad may have had similar experiences, but there is a balance to be had.

I have been reading and had the opportunity to gain perspective that has allowed me to realize my situation.  Much like counseling offers someone the perspective needed to see their situation for what it is, so have I had the opportunity, and the book I have referred to at this point in my journey is titled, "Maximizing Study Abroad by Paige, Cohen, Kappler, Chi, and Lassegard."

I have a saying, "anything is possible," but I also believe that perspective is everything.  So, look for it, perspective is there and it aids the mind in deciphering new experiences, feelings, and so on.


No comments:

Post a Comment